Asia Cup 2023 is currently underway with two games having already concluded. Pakistan and Sri Lanka have tasted the win while Nepal and Bangladesh find themselves at the bottom of the table with defeat in their opening games. Meanwhile, India will commence their campaign with the mouthwatering clash against Pakistan on August 2. On the other hand, in their opening game, Afghanistan will take Bangladesh at Lahore Cricket Stadium on 3rd of August. Fans are eager to know about the venue such as Gaddafi Stadium Lahore pitch report, ODI records, and other key facts. Here, you will get everything you need to know about Lahore Cricket Ground.
Gaddafi Cricket Stadium, Lahore will host 3 games of Asia Cup 2023, First up, it’s the AFG vs BAN clash then the Sri Lankan side will face Afghanistan here in the Group match. Later, a Super 4 game will be played at Gaddafi Stadium Lahore pitch. Talking about the venue’s history, it is one of the oldest Stadiums in Pakistan, hosting international matches since 1959. It has a seating capacity of 27,000 which makes it the 4th largest Cricket arena in the country.
Lahore Cricket Stadium ODI Records
Concerning the ODI records at Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, a total of 69 ODIs have been played here spanning from 1978 to 2022. The most recent ODI series at the venue took place in April 2022 between Pakistan and Australia. Remarkably, this series marked the venue’s return to hosting ODI matches after a hiatus of seven years, since its last ODI series in 2015.
- Total ODI matches played: 69
- Matches won by the team batting first: 34
- Matches won by the team batting second: 33
- Highest team score while batting first: Pakistan – 375/3 (50) vs Zimbabwe, 2015
- Lowest score while batting first: Netherlands – 145/10 (50) vs Pakistan, 1996
- Biggest total chased: Pakistan chased 348 vs Australia, in 2022
- Lowest Score Defended: West Indies defended 178 vs Pakistan in 1980
- Lahore Cricket Stadium average 1st innings score in ODI: 251
- Lahore Cricket Stadium average 2nd innings total in ODI: 215
- Best bowling figures for a spinner: Sanath Jayasuriya (SL) – 5/17 vs PAK, 2004
- Best bowling figures for a pacer: Lance Klusener (SA) – 6/49 vs SL, 1997
- Highest score by a batsman: Ijaz Ahmed (PAK) – 139*(84) vs India, 1997
Gaddafi Stadium Lahore Pitch Report
If we look at the past ODI records at Gaddafi Stadium Lahore, the pitch here has remained neutral. Usually, the Lahore pitch doesn’t provide a high bounce to seamers and the ball doesn’t get much movement. Bowling with good line-length and using variations is a key to being effective here. Spinners may come into play in the middle overs due to the slow nature of the pitch. Leg-spinners may prove to be more effective than off-spinners in Lahore.
Batters are expected to enjoy their time on Lahore Stadium’s pitch during Asia Cup 2023 matches. Most of the wickets in Gaddafi Cricket Stadium fall when batters try to clear the boundary. So playing steadily can take batters to high scores. Recently, the chasing sides have enjoyed success more often here, so, the team who wins the toss may go to field first. In the last ODI series here, Pakistan even chased 348 runs against Australia which proves how good of a wicket it is to bat on.
Gaddafi Cricket Stadium Lahore Weather during Asia Cup 2023
If the report from Accuweather is to be believed, there are no chances of rain in Lahore during Asia Cup 2023. In Lahore, the weather forecast for this week predicts hot conditions, with daytime temperatures reaching as high as 42 degrees Celsius on certain days. During nights, it will remain warm with a minimum temperature around 30 degrees Celsius.