The decider of the India vs Australia 2023 ODI series is scheduled to take place in Chepauk Cricket Stadium on March 22. The first two ODIs of the series were low-scoring games and the 3-match series is leveled at 1-1. The team who batted 2nd has won both games and fans are now asking what will be the pitch report of MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai for IND vs AUS 3rd ODI. Here, you can check the Chennai Stadium Pitch Report, ODI records, and last match scorecard at the venue.
Chennai is going to host its first one-day international game after December 2019. There was construction work going on in the arena, now it has been completed and new stands are opened for the general public. The ground is hosting ODI cricket since 1987 and so far it has hosted 23 fifty-over international games.
Chennai Stadium Pitch Report
Chennai Stadium pitch has been a paradise for spinners if we look past records of the ground. Chasing at this ground is not easy as the pitch dries out as the match progresses which makes it tough to bat in the later part of the game. So, a wise decision here will be choosing to bat first and set a 280+ total.
In 23 ODI games, only 8 times, the score was successfully chased here. However, in the most recent ODI at Chepauk pitch, West Indies had beaten India while chasing 287 runs. It was the biggest total chased in Chepauk Cricket Stadium. The match was in the month of December and Chennai pitch was quicker that day in the 2nd innings.
MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai ODI Records
- Total ODI matches played: 23
- Matches won by the team batting first: 13
- Matches won by the team batting second: 8
- Matches tied/no result: 2
- Highest team score while batting first: Asia XI – 337-7 (50) vs Africa XI, 2007
- Lowest team score while batting first: Kenya – 69-10 (23.5) vs India, 2011
- Biggest total chased: West Indies chased 287 vs India, in 2019.
- Lowest Score Defended: England defended 171 vs South Africa, in 2011.
- Chepauk Cricket Stadium Chennai average score in ODI: 230
- Best bowling figures for a spinner: Imran Tahir 4-38 vs England, 2011
- Best bowling figures for a pacer: Ravi Rampaul – 5/51 vs India, 2011
MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai Last ODI Match Scorecard
The last ODI match at the venue was played between India and West Indies in 2019. The visitors won this match by 8 wickets.
|India : 287-8 (50)||West Indies : 291-2 (47.5)|
|Rishabh Pant : 71(69)||Shimron Hetmyer : 139(106)|
|Shreyas Iyer : 70(88)||Shai Hope : 102*(151)|
|Kedar Jadhav : 40(35)||Nicholas Pooran : 29*(23)|
|Keemo Paul : 7 – 0 – 40 – 2||Deepak Chahar : 10 – 1 – 48 – 1|
|Alzarri Joseph : 9 – 1 – 45 – 2||Mohammed Shami : 9 – 1 – 57 – 1|
|Sheldon Cottrell : 10 – 3 – 46 – 2|