April 3 is going to be a day full of emotions for CSK fans. MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings is going to play an IPL match in Chepauk after 4 years of wait. Although, MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai hosted 10 games of the IPL 2022 season but CSK wasn’t part of any of them as it was supposed to be a neutral venue. This year, the Chennai-based franchise is going to play all 7 home games here. Meanwhile, fantasy players are searching for the key stats of MA Chidambaram Stadium Chennai such as pitch report, IPL records and the last T20 match scorecard. Here are the stats of Chepauk Cricket Stadium which you may find helpful.
CSK faced a defeat against Gujarat Titans in their opening match of the season. On the other hand, Lucknow Super Giants who will be their opponent on Monday are coming with 2 points in their bag already. LSG beat Delhi Capitals in their home ground last Saturday.
MA Chidambaram Stadium Chennai IPL Records (2019 & 2021)
MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai is hosting IPL games since the inception of the league. So far, it has hosted 67 matches in Indian Premier League. The last time CSK played in Chepauk Stadium was in 2019 when they played 8 games here including Qualifier 1 game against Mumbai Indians. In the 2021 season, except CSK and Rajasthan Royals, the other 6 teams played 10 games here. Chennai Cricket Ground didn’t host any IPL games in 2020 and 2022 due to Covid restrictions.
Here we are providing IPL 2019 and IPL 2021 records at MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai as these latest stats will give you a clear picture of the pitch here. Most of the matches during these two seasons in Chennai were low-scoring.
- Total IPL matches played (in 2019 and 2021): 18
- Matches won by the team batting first: 9
- Matches won by the team batting second: 8
- Matches tied/went to Super Over: 1
- Highest team score while batting first: RCB – 204/4 (20) vs KKR, 2021
- Lowest team score while batting first: RCB – 79/10 (20) vs CSK, 2019
- Biggest total chased: CSK chased 175 vs SRH, in 2019
- Lowest Score Defended: RCB defended 149 vs SRH, in 2021
- Chepauk Cricket Stadium average score in IPL (2019-2021): 150
- Best bowling figures for a spinner: Amit Mishra (DC) – 4/24 vs MI, 2021
- Best bowling figures for a pacer: Andre Russell (KKR) – 5/15 vs MI, 2021
- Highest score by a batsman: Shane Watson (CSK) – 96(53) vs SRH, 2019
- Total wickets taken by spinners: 102 in 18 games (5.6 wickets per match)
- Total wickets taken by pacers: 107 in 18 games (6 wickets per match)
Chepauk Stadium T20I Records
Chepauk Stadium Chennai has hosted only 2 T20I games to date, India vs West Indies clash in 2018 being the most recent. It turned out to be a good batting venue in both games.
- Total T20I matches played: 2
- Matches won by the team batting first: 1
- Matches won by the team batting second: 1
- Highest team score while batting first: West Indies – 181/3 (20) vs India, 2018
- Lowest team score while batting first: New Zealand – 167/5 (20) vs India, 2012
- Biggest total chased: India chased 181 vs West Indies, in 2018
- Lowest Score Defended: New Zealand defended 167 vs India, in 2012
- MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai average score in T20I: 174
- Best bowling figures for a spinner: Yuzvendra Chahal – 2/28 vs West Indies, 2018
- Best bowling figures for a pacer: Irfan Pathan – 3/31 vs New Zealand, 2012
- Total wickets taken by spinners: 4 in 2 games (2 wickets per match)
- Total wickets taken by pacers: 12 in 2 games (6 wickets per match)
- Highest score by a batsman: Shikhar Dhawan – 92(62) vs West Indies, 2018
MA Chidambaram Stadium Chennai Pitch Report
The curators at Chennai create hard and dry pitches which are considered spin-friendly. Over the years it has remained a decent track for the batters but it’s not the pitch where you score big runs. Most of the time Chepauk Cricket Stadium witnesses low-scoring games
A slow wicket provides comfort to the spinners and playing an extra spinner is not a bad choice here. As there will be almost no grass on the Chepauk ground pitch, pace bowlers may not get much help from the surface. However, medium pacers who use variations in bowling can go effective.
If we look at the previous IPL records at MA Chidambaram Stadium Chennai, a score of 160+ can be considered good to defend here. Chasing a total is usually tough at Chepauk. So, during the 2023 IPL, choosing to bat first can be considered a wise decision here.
IPL Matches in Chennai 2023
CSK is scheduled to play 7 home games at MA Chidambaram Stadium Chennai. Except Royal Challengers Bangalore and Gujarat Titans, 7 teams will tour here to play league games against Super Kings.
|3 April||CSK vs LSG||7:30 PM|
|12 April||CSK vs RR||7:30 PM|
|21 April||CSK vs SRH||7:30 PM|
|30 April||CSK vs PBKS||3:30 PM|
|6 May||CSK vs MI||3:30 PM|
|10 May||CSK vs DC||7:30 PM|
|14 May||CSK vs KKR||7:30 PM|
Chennai Stadium Last IPL Match Scorecard
The last IPL match at Chepauk was played between Sunrisers Hyderabad and Delhi Capitals in 2021. The scores of both sides got leveled and the match went to a Super Over. SRH could give only an 8-run target which was chased by DC taking all 6 balls.
|DC : 159-4 (20)||SRH : 159-7 (20)|
|Prithvi Shaw : 53(39)||Kane Williamson : 66*(51)|
|Rishabh Pant : 37(27)||Jonny Bairstow : 38(18)|
|Steve Smith : 34(25)||J Suchith : 14*(6)|
|Siddarth Kaul : 4 – 0 – 31 – 2||Avesh Khan : 4 – 0 – 34 – 3|
|Rashid Khan : 4 – 0 – 31 – 1||Axar Patel : 4 – 0 -26 – 2|
|Amit Mishra : 4 – 0 – 31 – 1|