India vs New Zealand T20I series decider is set to be played at the biggest Cricket Stadium in the world. It will be the 6th T20 game at Narendra Modi Cricket Stadium since its inaugural as the biggest cricket arena. Before the renovation, the Ahmedabad ground was known as Motera Cricket Stadium and had a seating capacity of 49,000. Meanwhile, fantasy players are looking for the T20 records and pitch report of Narendra Modi Cricket Stadium Ahmedabad. In this space, you will find important stats about Motera.
The stadium was inaugurated with India’s Test match against England in 2021, and later on, the ground hosted a 5-match T20I series vs England in 2021 and a 3-match ODI series vs West Indies in 2022. Before the renovation, Motera Stadium hosted many Tests and ODIs, however, the only T20I game at the venue was held between India and Pakistan in 2012.
Narendra Modi Cricket Stadium Ahmedabad T20I Records
Besides, a 5-T20I match series vs England, Ahmedabad Cricket Stadium has also hosted IPL 2021 and 2022 games. Several Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy games have also been played at the venue since becoming the first Indian stadium with a capacity of over 1 lakh.
- Total T20I matches played: 6
- Matches won by the team batting first: 3
- Matches won by the team batting second: 3
- Highest team score while batting first: India – 224-2 (20) vs England, 2021
- Lowest team score while batting first: India – 124-7 (20) vs England, 2021
- Lowest team score while batting second (in defeat): England – 177-8 (20) while chasing India’s 185
- Biggest total chased: India chased England’s 164.
- Lowest Score Defended: India defended 185 vs England, in 2021
- Narendra Modi Stadium Ahmedabad average score in T20I: 174
- Best bowling figures for a spinner: Washington Sundar – 2/29 vs England, 2021
- Best bowling figures for a pacer: Jofra Archer – 4/34 vs India, 2021
- Highest score by a batsman: Jos Buttler – 83*(52) vs India
- Total wickets taken by spinners: 15 in 6 games (2.5 wickets per match)
- Total wickets taken by pacers: 46 in 6 games (7.6 wickets per match)
Ahmedabad IPL T20 Records (2021 and 2022)
Motera Cricket Stadium, Ahmedabad used to be a home ground for Rajasthan Royals between 2010 and 2014. However, since renamed as Narendra Modi Cricket Stadium, it has hosted 7 IPL games in 2021 and 2022.
- Total IPL matches played: 7
- Matches won by the team batting first: 2
- Matches won by the team batting second: 5
- Highest team score while batting first: PBKS – 179-5 (20) vs RCB, 2021
- Lowest team score while batting first: PBKS – 127-9 (20) vs KKR, 2021
- Lowest team score while batting second (in defeat): RCB – 145-8 (20) while chasing PBKS 179
- Biggest total chased: DC chased PBKS’s 166.
- Lowest Score Defended: RCB defended 171 vs DC, in 2021
- Narendra Modi Stadium Ahmedabad average score in IPL: 154
Ahmedabad Cricket Stadium Pitch Report
The ground has a total of 11 pitches; 6 red soil and 5 black soil tracks. The red soil usually dries out quickly and helps spinners and medium pacers who use variations. On the other hand, black soil helps pacers get a good bounce and thus, the ball travels fast and can trouble batters.
In India vs England 2021 series, the initial games of the series were low-scoring. But as the series progressed, batters found it easy to bat in the Ahmedabad pitch. In the most recent international T20 here, both India and England had scored a total of 412 runs in 40 overs.
It is likely to be a low-scoring clash on Wednesday between India and New Zealand. If we look at the pitch report of Narendra Modi Cricket Stadium Ahmedabad, a team would like to bowl first here as there are higher chances of chasing than defending at the venue. The dew factor can also play its part in the second innings which can make it more challenging to defend.
Ahmedabad Cricket Stadium Boundary Size
As it’s the biggest cricket stadium, the boundary sizes of Narendra Modi Stadium are also bigger than most of the Indian grounds. Covers, extra covers, deep mid-wicket areas boundaries are 75-80 meters from the pitch. Straight boundaries are also at the same length. Square leg and deep point boundaries are the shortest in the ground ranging from 67 to 74 meters.
Motera Cricket Stadium, Ahmedabad All T20I Match Results
Match 1: India vs Pakistan (December 28, 2012)
- India: 192-5 (20)
- Pakistan: 181-7 (20)
- India won by 11 runs.
Match 2: India vs England (March 12, 2021)
- India: 124-7 (20)
- England: 130-2 (15.2)
- England won by 8 wickets.
Match 3: India vs England (March 14, 2021)
- England: 164-6 (20)
- India: 166-3 (17.5)
- India won by 7 wickets.
Match 4: India vs England (March 16, 2021)
- India: 156-6 (20)
- England: 158-2 (18.2)
- England won by 8 wickets.
Match 5: India vs England (March 18, 2021)
- India: 185-8 (20)
- England: 177-8 (20)
- India won by 8 runs.
Match 6: India vs England (March 20, 2021)
- India: 224-2 (20)
- England: 188-8 (20)
- India won by 36 runs.
Narendra Modi Stadium Ahmedabad Last T20 Match Scorecard
The most recent high-profile T20 game at Ahmedabad Stadium was IPL 2022 final. It was a low-scoring match between Gujarat Titans and Rajasthan Royals which was won by the hosts. Here is the full scorecard below.
Rajasthan Royals Innings:
|Sanju Samson (c)||14(11)||2||0|
Gujarat Titans Innings:
|Hardik Pandya (c)||34(30)||3||1|