The ongoing edition of the continental event has witnessed high-level performances from the Asian teams so far. Among the six teams, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India and Bangladesh advanced to the Super 4 stage, courtesy of their performances in the Group stage. Meanwhile, this is also the first time that Pakistan and Sri Lanka are the co-hosts of the Asia Cup (4 matches in Pakistan and 9 games in Sri Lanka). Fans are curious to learn more about the Colombo pitch report. You have come to the right place and you’ll find all the information below.
R Premadasa Stadium, Colombo will be hosting six games of the continental event, which includes the five Super Fours games and the all-important Asia Cup 2023 final. The competition is going to get really challenging as the teams will have to work beyond the bounds of possibility to attain favourable outcomes. Pakistan kick-started their Super Fours stage journey with a seven-wicket win over Bangladesh. Pakistan played all of their four games at home and they will be playing the rest of the games in Sri Lanka.
R Premadasa Stadium Colombo Pitch Report
Let’s learn more about the Colombo Pitch report now. Although pitch conditions in cricket can vary significantly depending on several factors, including weather conditions, the Colombo pitch has historically assisted the spinners to cash in on the opportunities to better effect. At the same time, it has also been a perfect batting track, giving the license for the batsmen to express themselves on a fresh surface.
However, when the pitch slows down a bit, it creates all sorts of trouble for the batsmen to switch gears. While spinners will be licking their lips to showcase their mettle, the fast bowlers will have a tough time figuring out the solution on this wicket. If the batsmen combine the game with caution and aggression, then they are pretty much certain to shine on this wicket, in what promises to be a riveting and engaging contest. The Colombo pitch is expected to have an impact on the playing conditions owing to the effects of rain. As a result, the toss will play a substantial role as whichever team wins the toss will look to bowl first to be on the safer side.
R Premadasa Stadium Colombo ODI Records
Sri Lanka will take on Bangladesh on September 9 at R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo. Team India will lock horns with Pakistan on September 10 at the same venue. India will face Sri Lanka on September 12 in Colombo whereas Pakistan will take on Sri Lanka on September 14 at the same venue. India will play against Bangladesh on September 15 in Colombo to wrap up the Super Fours. The top two teams will go toe-to-toe with each other in the final on September 17. Now, let’s go through how the ODI records fared here at this venue.
- Total ODI matches played: 155
- Matches won by the team batting first: 84
- Matches won by the team bowling first: 61
- Highest team score while batting first: India recorded 375/5 against Sri Lanka
- Lowest score: Sri Lanka Women – 78 (All Out) vs. England Women (240/9).
- Biggest total chased: Sri Lanka chased down 292/4 against Australia
- Lowest Score Defended: West Indies Women (170/10) defended Sri Lanka Women (157/10)
- R Premadasa Cricket Stadium average 1st innings total in ODI: 232
- R Premadasa Cricket Stadium average 2nd innings total in ODI: 191
- Best bowling figures for a spinner: Akila Dananjaya (6/29) against South Africa
- Best bowling figures for a pacer: Angelo Matthews (6/20) against India
- Highest score by a batsman: Kumar Sangakkara (169) versus South Africa