The shortest format that is T20 is the most famous format of cricket. At the time of the introduction of T20 cricket, it didn’t get much support from the audience. But after the first T20 World Cup 2007 and first IPL season in 2008, the 20 overs format got immense popularity. Now, most of the nations play the T20 format. However, now England cricket is bringing even the shorter format 100-ball cricket with completely different rules.
8 city-based teams of England will take part in The Hundred league. The tournament to be played in July to September in 2020. The player draft will take place on 19th October 2019. ECB CEO Tom Harrison said, “This is a fresh and exciting idea which will appeal to a younger audience and attract new fans to the game,”
100-Ball Cricket Rules
- 100 balls per innings.
- A change of ends after 10 balls.
- Bowlers deliver either five or 10 consecutive balls.
- Each bowler can deliver a maximum of 20 balls per game.
- Each bowling side gets a strategic timeout of up to two and a half minutes.
- A 25-ball powerplay start for each team.
- Two fielders are allowed outside of the initial 30-yard circle during the powerplay.
Teams And Selection
8 teams will take part in this league. However, there will be a different league for women with the same names of teams. The names of the teams have been confirmed and players will be signed using the draft system in October 2019. However, Indian players participation in the league is doubtful.
Names of the teams are; Manchester Originals, Northern Superchargers, Birmingham Phoenix, Trent Rockets, Welsh Fire, London Spirit, Oval Invinicivals, Southern Braves. Also, names like Gary Kirsten, Mahela Jayawardene, Shane Warne to coach the teams in the league.